The whole point of having a great backyard is to encourage you to enjoy the “great outdoors.” Accomplishing this goal means having more than just a few chairs and a table with an umbrella. Here are a few ideas that can help bring this concept to life:
- Make Hardscapes Attractive – Driveways and paths are utilitarian but that fact does not mean that they should be ugly. In addition, a basketball hoop makes a very inviting spot for Dad to show off his “skills.”
- Build a Private Retreat – A shaded spot on the deck with the right bushes placed all around makes a cozy corner for one – or two! – whether reading or sleeping is on the agenda.
For more information on these and other landscaping topics, or if you are in need of an Atlanta landscape designer, please contact us directly at 888-210-1116. Outdoor Expressions – Making your outdoor space a place to remember.
While most new homeowners first look to plants, shrubs, and trees when designing their outdoor spaces, more experienced ones understand that the underlying hardscape will actually define much of the landscape. Here are some of the reasons why:
- They Define Spaces – Wood, stone, and metal can be crafted into specific shapes so any type of space can be created. Adding plants and shrubs afterward soften the edges and offer a completed look.
- They Lead the Viewer – If you’ve ever heard the phrase, “led down the garden path,” you will understand what I mean. Paths are ideal ways to bring your guests to a particular feature or focal point.
For more information on hardscape construction in Atlanta, please contact us online or by phone, 888-210-1116 at Outdoor Expressions. Outdoor Expressions – Making your outdoor space a place to remember.
Eventually, most home landscapers will have to deal with one of the toughest spots on a lawn – the dry spot. While many plants are available for low light or poor soil conditions, there are none that can do without water entirely. Here are a few plant suggestions for dealing with this seemingly intractable problem:
- Prickly-Pear – With its distinctive look and love of gravelly soil, this plant native to the Southwest is remarkably hardy almost everywhere south of the Mason-Dixon line. Use it sparingly though as it is quite tenacious.
- White-Tinged Sedge – If you have a real problem area, this is the last resort solution. It handles every challenge with good grace. Plant it almost anywhere and it will grow.
For more information on commercial landscaping firms in Atlanta, please contact us at Outdoor Expressions. Outdoor Expressions – Making your outdoor space a place to remember.
While almost any grade school child can tell how vital bees are to a garden, many homeowners overlook this fact. Nevertheless, more informed ones understand the need for bees and do what they can to promote their well-being. Here are a few attractive plants that will help the bees in your garden thrive:
For more information on this and other landscape topics or if you are in need of a commercial landscaping firm in Atlanta, please contact us online at OutdoorExpressions.net or phone directly to 888-210-1116. Outdoor Expressions – Making your outdoor space a place to remember.
In most cases, a house is not a natural looking addition to a landscape. It usually has hard, square edges, comes in a variety of bright “unnatural” colors and generally impinges on the view. Still, a designer should consider the architecture of the home when planning the landscaping around it. Here are a few suggestions:
Source: Outdoor Expressions
Embrace Geometry– Landscapes can be significantly sculpted to complement the regularity of a house. Consider adding brick paths with right angles, hedges that are trimmed as rectangles or even triangularly shaped trees that mimic the roof line.
Add Color as a Contrast – Using plants and trees as a “green” background will allow you to paint your house and its trim in a variety of colors that stand out against the landscape.
Integrate Proportional Elements – As an example, slender windows that overlook a garden of thinly designed plants beds can highlight each other.
For more information on these and other ideas for planning your landscaping projects, please visit us online at OutdoorExpressions.net or, if you are in need of a commercial landscaping firm in Atlanta, please call us directly at 888-210-1116. Outdoor Expressions – Making your outdoor space a place to remember.
Though weeds are an unsightly addition to any lawn, they do afford an insight in to the condition of your lawn and the soil underneath it. Here are just a few examples:
Common Plantain – This very hardy weed loves a lot of water. Any portions of your lawn that contain it are either in a depression that collects water or is being overwatered by your sprinkler system.
White Clover – This particularly hardy plant can live in soil that will not support other ones. If your lawn is overrun with this weed, it means that the soil is low in nutrients and needs to be properly fertilized.
Knotweed – Low lying and fast spreading, knotweed depends on other grasses not being able to establish a foothold in dense or compacted soil. Aeration and the addition of compost can help this problem but usually takes a lot of time and energy to accomplish.
For more information on this and other landscape maintenance issues, please visit us at Outdoor Expressions. We can be found online at OutdoorExpressions.net or reached directly at 888-210-1116. Outdoor Expressions – Making your outdoor space a place to remember.